Saturday, January 8, 2011

Virtual Success

Today over at the Sisterhood they were having a virtual 5k. I signed up way back in November and I was more than a little excited, it was just what I needed to kick me back in gear with my training. My goal had been to run the entire 3.1 miles, and then the holidays hit. Things around here got super busy and things at work got even busier, holidays, work, vacation, kids and school. Everything got crazy, and I still tried to keep up, but as it usually does, something had to give and unfortunatly it was the running. I was just beat everyday, I wasn't doing a good job of taking care of myself. Eating quick meals when I could and more than not forgetting to take my Iron supplements. My iron levels sank, my energy drained and I was tired. I know these are all just excuses, but the end result is the same, I was not training and I was not prepared for this 5k run.
Then the new year came and I knew that I could not keep living like this. I could not continue to skip my workouts and still reach my goals for the year. I needed to take care of myself and my first priority was getting back into running. So even though I didn't have alot of time I knew that I was still committed to running this race. I started getting back in the treadmill and running. It felt like I had started all over with my c25k training. The first day it was 2 minute runs, but I was thrilled at how quickly it all came back. There was no way I was going to make my goal of running this entire race, but there was also no way that I was going to not complete it.
I got up this morning and fueled up. Then I headed to the treadmill for my warm up and run. I started running. It felt good, really good and I just kept putting one foot in front of the other. No, I didnt run the whole thing, but I did push myself. I took over three minutes off my personal 3.1 mile treadmill time. It felt wonderful. It made me feel powerful and successful and exactly the moral boost I needed to keep up with my training. I knew months ago that this 5k was exactly what I needed to get back into training and today it was exactly what I needed to keep with it.
I can't wait to see what the rest of the year holds for running and personal goals in general. Yesterday I got online to search for some local races and I found a few that caught my interest. I am not ready to sign up for anything yet, but I have a great idea of what is out there and what I am training for. And as another bonus, my goal of running 20 miles a month is going to get blown out of the water this month, I am already at 13 miles one week in.
So did you run with the Sisterhood today? How did you do?How are your goals going so far this year?

1 comment:

  1. Great job, Carrie! I'm glad you joined everyone for the 5k :)

    ReplyDelete