Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I'm Baaaack

Well I am home again. It was a wonderful week off. I had a great time with my family and I couldn't have asked for better weather. It was relaxing. We fished, we ate well, we drank a lot, we stayed up late and slept in. It was everything I was hoping it would be and more. It was a little piece of heaven.
We were in the Upper Peninsula on a tiny little island just off of Drummond Island. It was just the 8 of us. Gary and I, Uncle Bill (UB), Aunt Mary, Aunt Lenora, Cousin Tom, Jerry and Al. Jerry is UB's brother and Al was a good friend of UB and Jerry. It was our first trip with those two and they only added to the wonderful atmosphere. We take this trip every year over the week of the 4th. It works out so well, everyone is responsible for 1 dinner and 1 breakfast. Needless to say we ate like kings. We had a full turkey dinner with all the fixings thanks to Aunt Lenora. We ate Elk meat stew from Jerry, Buffalo Burgers from Al, fresh fried fish from Cousin Tom, Chicken wings and homemade beer battered onion rings from Gary and I. Aunt Mary fed us twice, Philly Steak and Cheese the first night and beef stroganoff the last night. It was wonderful, bacon and eggs, pancakes, apple pie, chex mix, raisin bran muffins. So yeah, I am sure that tomorrow will show a gain, but I don't even care. For one solid week I enjoyed everything that life had to offer.
I swam in the Lake, I sat in the sun, I drank beer. I let UB fix me Whiskey and Ginger Ale drinks and Martini's. I never put on any make up. I slept til 8 every morning. I drank coffee on the deck overlooking the glorious lake. I loved every second of it. I was outside all week long, I only stayed inside long enough to take a shower or wash dishes. I knew going into this year that it would be our last year at this particular cabin, and it was. We decided at the end of the week to try a different resort next year.
There were lots of reasons for the change but mostly for the ladies. There is a lot more we can do at the new place. Ride bikes, take walks, ride the 4 wheeler, none of that was really possible at the old location. With all the extra's we can do now I am even more excited for next year. When I have more time I will post some pictures of the absolute best week I have had in a very long time.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful! I love the UP. Didn't make it up there this year but hope to take the kids to Pictured Rocks or Porcupine Mountains next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping to get back up there at least one more time this year, to see the fall colors. My husband has a hunting camp up by McMillon and he is always trying to convince me to drive up there with him, so I think this year I will.

    ReplyDelete