Friday, June 4, 2010

Ouie!

Newsflash, I am an idiot. Here are just a few of the dumb things I have done lately.
Well as you may recall I was beyond excited earlier this week for conquering the elliptical, yeah, well I am an idiot, upon closer inspection K had changed the dial on it. So although I did do the 20 minutes that I was so proud of, it was not at the level I had thought it was. I got over that disappointment quickly though when I got back on the elliptical the next day and moved the level back up and still went 20 minutes. It is not back up the the highest level yet, but hey it is still one heck of a work out. And I am proud of myself.
Another dumb thing I did this week was deciding to run a 5k. Okay that really probably isn't dumb at all. I really want to feel like I accomplished something. You can't reach a goal if you don't set one right? So I decided to take the plunge and I am going to sign up for a race. I don't think that I will actually complete the training if I don't have to, and shelling out some money for a registration pretty much means I have to.
So last night I started my training. I actually went outside and ran down the road. Who would have thought I would ever do that during day light hours, where people could see me. It was hard. I am not a runner, I am a walker, but I would like to do this. To accomplish what in my mind is a huge goal. To say hey, I ran a 5k. I know this is small potatoes to some people, but to me it is monumental. So today I am just a little sore, not bad, but I can feel that I used muscles I hadn't used in a long time. As I was running down the road I passed a couple of my neighbors and the little older lady said, "Oh good for you honey, I would be passed out on the side of the road." I smiled and said oh thanks, although I was not completely sure that I wasn't going to pass out on the side of the road. That little bit of encouragement went a long way for my mental well being.
So here I am, facing my demons of workouts and weight loss and running. I feel more empowered to do these things than I ever have. And the more I work towards them the better I feel. The happier I am, the more energy I have. I think everything I am doing to better my physical well being is doing so much more than that for my mental well being.

No comments:

Post a Comment